Washington State Department of Social and Health Services Home page

Background Check Central Unit

Our staff process over 300,000 background checks annually, including approximately 100,000 fingerprint based checks. Background checks conducted through the Background Check Central Unit include a search of the Washington State Patrol and Washington State Courts criminal history data systems as well as the Department of Health and Department of Social and Health Services negative actions.
BCCU conducts background checks for agencies providing services to vulnerable adults, juveniles, and children such as:

  • Nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and adult family homes
  • Adult in-home care providers
  • Child care centers, in-home child care providers
  • Residential programs for children and youth
  • Services for people with developmental disabilities
  • DSHS contracted services
Learn more about Background Check Central Unit by reading our History and Overview (word).

The BCCU Guidebook is no longer available.  For questions about program requirements, call your program representative, licenser, contractor or social worker.  For questions about the Background Check Central Unit operations, email BCCUInquiry@dshs.wa.gov or Phone 360-902-0299.

Washington State Patrol RAP Sheet Information.

Frequently Asked Questions - Washington Court Search Results.

 You can receive helpful updates by joining the BCCU ListServ. This email method provides information on various background check processes (current policy issues, helpful hints to assure proper form completion, system downtimes, turnaround times for processing background checks, etc.). If you are from outside DSHS and would like to receive this information, please email your request to   BCCU Inquiry.

The DSHS Background Check Central Unit is located at:

1115 Washington Street SE
PO Box 45025
Olympia, Wa 98504-5025
Phone: (360) 902-0299
Fax: (360) 902-0292

Questions about the status of your form or service problems, please email us at BCCUInquiry@dshs.wa.gov

You may also want to visit: