WAC 388-408-0035

Effective September 7, 2013

WAC 388-408-0035 Who is in my assistance unit for Basic Food?

1.    For Basic Food, a person must be in your assistance unit (AU) if they live in the same home as you and:

a.    Regularly buy food or prepare meals with you; or

b.    You provide meals for them and they pay less than a reasonable amount for meals.

2.    If the following people live with you, they must be in your AU even if you do not usually buy or prepare food together:

a.    Your spouse;

b.    Your parents if you are under age twenty-two (even if you are married);

c.    Your children under age twenty-two; 

d.    The parent of a child who must be in your AU;

e.    A child other than a foster child under age eighteen who doesn't live with their parent unless the child:

                                      i.        Is emancipated; or

                                    ii.        Is not financially dependent on an adult in the AU .

3.    If any of the people in subsections (1) or (2) already receive Transitional Food Assistance under Chapter 388-489 WAC, you can only receive benefits if they choose to reapply for Basic Food as described in WAC 388-489-0022.

4.    If you live in an institution where you may be eligible for Basic Food under WAC 388-408-0040, we decide who is in your AU as follows:

a.    If the facility is acting as your authorized representative under WAC 388-460-0015, we include you and anyone who must be in your AU under subsection (2) of this rule; or

b.    If you apply for benefits on your own, we include you, anyone who must be in your AU under subsection (2) of this rule, and other residents you choose to apply with.

5.    Anyone who must be in your AU under subsection (1) or (2) is an ineligible AU member if they:

a.    Are disqualified for an Intentional Program Violation (IPV) under WAC 388-446-0015;

b.    Do not meet ABAWD work requirements under WAC 388-444-0030.

c.    Do not meet work requirements under WAC 388-444-0055;

d.    Do not provide a social security number under WAC 388-476-0005;

e.    Do not meet the citizenship or alien status requirements under chapter 388-424 WAC; or

f.     Are fleeing a felony charge or violating a condition of parole or probation under WAC 388-442-0010.

6.    If your AU has an ineligible member:

a.    We count the ineligible member's income as part of your AU's income under WAC 388-450-0140;

b.    We count all the ineligible members resources to your AU; and

c.    We do not use the ineligible member to determine your AU's size for the maximum income amount or allotment under WAC 388-478-0060.

7.    If the following people live in the same home as you, you can choose if we include them in your AU:

a.    A permanently disabled person who is age sixty or over and cannot make their own meals if the total income of everyone else in the home (not counting the elderly and disabled person's spouse) is not more than the one hundred sixty-five percent standard under WAC 388-478-0060;

b.    A boarder. If you do not include a boarder in your AU, the boarder cannot get Basic Food benefits in a separate AU;

c.    A person placed in your home for foster care. If you do not include this person in your AU, they cannot get Basic Food benefits in a separate AU;

d.    Roomers; or

e.    Live-in attendants even if they buy or prepare food with you.

8.    If someone in your AU moves out of your home for at least a full issuance month, they are not eligible for benefits as a part of your AU, unless you receive transitional food assistance.

9.    For Transitional Food Assistance, your TFA AU includes the people who were in your Basic Food AU for the last month you received:

a.    Temporary Assistance for Needy Families;

b.    State Family Assistance; or

c.    Tribal TANF benefits.

10. If someone received Basic Food or Food Stamps in another AU or another state, they cannot receive benefits in your AU for the same period of time with one exception. If you already received Basic Food, Food Stamp, or Transitional Food Assistance benefits:

a.    In another state, you are not eligible for Basic Food for the period of time covered by the benefits you received from the other state; or

b.    In another AU, you are not eligible for Basic Food in a different AU for the same period of time.

c.    In another AU, but you left the AU to live in a shelter for battered women and children under WAC 388-408-0045, you may be eligible to receive benefits in a separate AU.

11. The following people who live in your home are not members of your AU. If they are eligible for Basic Food, they may be a separate AU:

a.    Someone who usually buys and prepares food separately from your AU if they are not required to be in your AU; or

b.    Someone who lives in a separate residence.

12. A student who is ineligible for Basic Food under WAC 388-482-0005 is not a member of your AU.


This is a reprint of the official rule as published by the Office of the Code Reviser. If there are previous versions of this rule, they can be found using the Legislative Search page.