WAC 388-408-0040

Effective November 17, 2014

WAC 388-408-0040 How does living in an institution affect my eligibility for Basic Food?

  1. For Basic Food, an "institution" means a place where people live that provides residents more than half of three meals daily as a part of their normal services.

  2. Most residents of institutions are not eligible for Basic Food.

  3. If you live in one of the following institutions, you may be eligible for Basic Food even if the institution provides the majority of your meals:

    1. Federally subsidized housing for the elderly;

    2. Qualified drug and alcohol treatment centers when an employee of the treatment center is the authorized representative as defined under WAC 388-460-0010;

    3. Qualified DDD group homes for persons with disabilities;

    4. A shelter for battered women and children when the resident left the home that included the abuser; or

    5. Nonprofit shelters for the homeless.

  4. A qualified DDD group home is a nonprofit residential facility that:

    1. Houses sixteen or fewer persons with disabilities as defined under WAC 388-400-0040(6); and

    2. Is certified by the Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD).

  5. A qualified drug and alcohol treatment center is a residential facility that:

    1. Is authorized as a retailer by the US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service (FNS)  or operated by a private nonprofit organization; and

    2. Meets the Division of Behavioral Health and Recovery (DBHR) chemical dependency residential licensing and certification rules in WAC 388-877B-0200.

  6. The qualified drug and alcohol treatment center described in subsection (5) in this section must be:

  1. Receiving funds under part B of Title XIX of the Public Health Service Act;

  2. Eligible to receive funds under part B of Title XIX of the Public Health Service Act, but does not receive these funds; or

  3. Operating to further the purposes of part B of Title XIX of the Public Health Service Act to provide treatment and rehabilitation of drug addicts or alcoholics.             

  1. Elderly or disabled individuals and their spouses may use Basic Food benefits to buy meals from the following meal providers if FNS has approved them to accept Basic Food benefits:
    1. Communal dining facility; or
    2. Nonprofit meal delivery service.
  2.  If you are homeless, you may use your Basic Food benefits to buy prepared meals from non-profit organizations the department has certified as meal providers for the homeless.

This is a reprint of the official rule as published by the Office of the Code Reviser. If there are previous versions of this rule, they can be found using the Legislative Search page.