Washington State Department of Social and Health Services Home page

Interpreter Services

The Division of Behavioral Health and Recovery (DBHR) pays for interpreter services for patients participating in DBHR-funded treatment services provided on-site at a certified treatment facility.  DBHR also pays for interpreter services for people who attend DBHR-funded or sponsored events, such as major statewide conferences and public meetings.

For questions about interpreter services, email Ronnie San Nicolas or call (360) 725-1280.

  • Patients who are receiving DSHS/DBHR-funded chemical dependency treatment are eligible for interpreter services. 
  • Parents of minors receiving DBHR- funded services, when the treatment plan requires them to be present.
  • People who attend DBHR-funded or sponsored events, such as statewide conferences and public meetings.
  • DBHR-funded assessments, inpatient, and outpatient treatment services from a DBHR contractor or county subcontractor.
  • In-house Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) or Narcotics Anonymous (NA) meetings while in residential treatment if the meetings are required by the patient's treatment plan.
  • Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) or Narcotic Anonymous (NA) meetings that are not required by the patient's treatment plan or are not in-house.
  • Translation of agency-specific forms.
  • For residential treatment, interpreters are not covered during meals, sporting activities, or free-time.
  • Prevention services such as domestic violence classes, parenting classes, community outreach programs, etc.
  • Long-term training activities funded through the county.

The treatment provider must complete and fax an Interpreter Services Request/Approval form to the DBHR Interpreter Services Coordinator and receive approval before services take place.

Instructions for completing and submitting the request form.