Washington State Department of Social and Health Services Home page

Health Care

Applying for Children's Health Coverage

Children in a relative's care are eligible for Apple Health for Kids to cover medical, dental, and mental health services.

Health care coverage doesn't just help when your children are sick. It also covers preventative care like immunizations, physical exams, and even dental check-ups. If your children need coverage.

Washington Apple Health for Kids brings together children's medical programs under one umbrella. Families only need to complete one application. If your family meets the income eligibility standards, your children will be eligible. Just find your income and family size on a chart. This will tell you if your children are eligible and if you will need to pay a premium for their coverage.

If you need help or have questions call 1-877-KIDS-NOW (1-877-543-7669).

For help finding dental care:

  • The Center for Pediatric Dentistry:  How to get care and the care we provide
    The Center for Pediatric Dentistry provides comprehensive dental care to children of all ages - even before a tooth can be seen in the mouth.  The Center for Pediatric Dentistry provides expert care to children with special needs.  Dental care at the Center for Pediatric Dentistry is directed by our expert Pediatric Dental Faculty
  • Make an appointment: 206-543-5800.  Visit our website:  http://www.thecenterforpediatricdentistry.com/ Both our Front Desk and Clinic Staff will ask for information that will help us provide the best dental care possible.  We accept many types of dental insurance including Medicaid.  Parents, caregivers and children living with relatives are encouraged to ask all the questions you like so we can best meet the needs of your child.
  • The Center for Pediatric Dentistry is a collaboration of the University of Washington and Seattle Children's and is located at: 6222 NE 74th Street Seattle, 98115.   
  • Dental Health Information for Children with Special Health Care Needs can be found at: http://dental.washington.edu/departments/oral-medicine/special-needs-fact-sheets.html/
  • Washington Information Network 2-1-1
  • For adults on Medicaid who are struggling to find dental care please go to the WA Free Clinic Association, WA Free Clinic Association
  • For a brochure of local dental services go to How to Find Dental Care and click on your county. You can also find information about dental care for your child or teen.

Medicaid – Mental Health Services

Children in a relative's care may be eligible for Medicaid to cover mental health services (as well as medical and dental health insurance).

To apply, contact your local Community Services Office - CSO. You will have to fill out an application. You can pick up and application at the CSO or download the Medicaid Application and bring it with you.

Find local contact information for organizations that provide mental health services for children receiving Medicaid.

Parents Guide to the Mental Health System.

Note: Information, training and support are available on raising children with emotional, behavioral, or mental disorders. Learn more...

Medicaid - Chemical dependency treatment services

Treatment services through the Division of Behavior Health and Rehabilitation - DASA can be paid for through Medicaid if eligible. There are also "hardship funds" that can help caregivers with travel and lodging expenses while a youth is in treatment. Treatment services are also available for adults who meet income guidelines.

For more information or to apply for services, call the Washington Recovery Help Line at 1-866-789-1511.

Note: Pamphlets, brochures, training, videos is available raising children when substance abuse is an issue with the parent or child. Learn more...

Washington State law now allows adults raising a relative's child to consent to medical and mental health care – services even if you don't have legal custody.

For more in-depth information about this law, read A Kinship Caregiver's Guide to Consenting to Health Care (PDF) from Washington Law Help website. A brochure Consent to Health Care for the Child in Your Care (PDF) is also available on the topic. Both documents have a sample declaration form.

Relative caregivers involved with Children's Administration still must have a court order to consent to surgery for a child placed with them through the Division of Children and Family Services.

See the Legal Issues section for more information about finding and getting legal advice.

Washington State Medical Home  - Website was created to support youth and families in understanding how to partner with their health care providers, understand their health conditions, and make informed health care decisions.

Children receiving medical coverage from the State of Washington are eligible for replacement eye glasses from a provider accepting medical coupons any time they lose, out grow or break a previous pair. There is no limit on how many pairs are replaced and no “prior authorization” is needed. This benefit applies to children at home or in care as long as their medical coverage is provided by the State of Washington. For children with private insurance, please check with the child’s specific insurance plan.

Living Well with Chronic Conditions in Washington State website:  Your health counts!  To learn more about healthy aging programs in Washington State visit the website http://livingwell.doh.wa.gov/about-us to find events, workshops, trainings, programs, and resources.

Watch from your home or office helpful online information on memory, depression, food, medications, and physical activity. http://outreach.oregonstate.edu/programs/agingwell/modules/

Get free health and safety information:

Children with Special Health Care Needs

If you have a child with developmental disabilities or chronic medical conditions, you or your child may have special questions and need special assistance.  Here are some resources available to get you connected to free care coordination, information, and support in Washington:

• Call Family Health Hotline at 1-800-322-2588
• Visit Parent Help 123  
• Visit Center for Children with Special Needs